Fleet of Flying Saucers over Roswell, New Mexico, 1947
(Artist drawing ©2001 Jeff Neff)
Roswell Alien Crash
Roswell Cover Up
The Roswell Aliens
Reports of the crashed craft and other flying saucer sightings were published in over a
newspapers and over four hundred foreign papers over the next three days
following the crash. The military' s public information officer based at
Roswell Army Air Base sent out the original press release.
Headline from the Sacramento Bee newspaper in 1947
July 7, 1947
The Radio Station
It' s still Monday,
July 7, when the manager of a local
radio station, KSWS, learns of the main crash site. The teletype
the station was Lydia Sleppy. She gets a call from station manager John
saying he had been to the crash site. In a 1990 interview, she tells
happened to her on July 7, 1947:
"We were Mutual Broadcasting and ABC
and if we had
anything newsworthy, we would put it on the (teletype) machine and I
one who did the typing. This call came in from John McBoyle. He told me
something hot for the network É I got into it enough to know that it
pretty big story, when the bell came on. (Then) typing came across:
is the FBI, you will cease transmitting."
July 8, 1947
Marcel and Cavitt
bring their two car-loads of debris on
to Roswell Army Air Base about 6:00 a.m. They stop at Colonel William
Blanchard' s quarters and give him a description of the debris field.
Blanchard orders the
debris field cordoned off with armed
guards posted around it. Shortly thereafter a large contingent of
sent to the debris field. An air search is also begun.
Sheriff Wilcox sends
two deputies out to the debris
field. The deputies find soldiers surrounding the area and they are
away. However, they do see a large circular imprint where something hit
was so hot it turned the sand around it into molten glass, like
Lt. Walter Haut in 1947
Around 9:00 a.m. a
staff meeting is held. Colonel
Blanchard orders First Lieutenant Walter Haut, the Roswell Army Air
Information Officer, to issue a press release saying the Army had
remains of a crashed flying disk.
At 11:00 a.m. Haut
delivers his press release to two
local radio stations and two local newspapers. Frank Joyce, the manager
local radio station KGFL, recalls his discussion with Lt. Walter Haut
delivered the press release:
"Walter Haut came into
the station sometime after I got
this call. He handed me a news release printed on onionskin stationary
immediately. I called him back at the base and said, "I suggest that
not release this type of story that says you have a flying saucer or
disc." He said, "No, it' s OK, I have the OK from the C.O.
(Commanding Officer, Col. Blanchard). I sent the release on the Western Union wire to the United
Headline from The Roswell
Tuesday, July 8, 1947
Shortly before noon
the press release hits all the wire
services and the phones start ringing off the hook at Roswell Army Air
Sometime early in the afternoon, photographs were taken of some of the
recovered from the debris field.
"I Didn't Mean It, I Take It Back"
Later in the day on July 8, the military
retracted their initial press
release and stated that the found object was a weather balloon. This
was the beginning of the official cover-up of the Roswell alien crash
In 1998, I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Walter Haut about
really happened with his press release. He told point blank, that the
items recovered were in fact from a crashed alien flying saucer. And,
that his first press release was accurate and he was given orders to release it.
said the following press releases came from higher command off base and
were a cover-up.. Walter Haut died seven years later in 2005.
See page links to get more details on the events that followed. On other pages on this website we have provided a handy
time line to help you keep track of all the elements of this amazing story.
Retraction headline Roswell Daily Record on July 8, 1947.
Artwork Courtesy and Copyright of ©2000 Jeff Neff)
Roswell Citizens Threatened
Roswell Eye Witnesses
Roswell Debris Field